Apologies to everyone for the delay in posting. It is 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning here. We have a very busy day ahead and I know I won't have time to post.....so, here goes!!!
Meeting Lucy Mei Day
Lucy Mei is amazing. She is truly stunning. Her eyes, her lips, her beautiful skin and her adorable personality, with a little feistiness sprinkled in.
Our day started at 9:30 a.m. when we met the 8 other families adopting that morning in the hotel lobby. (Yes, Tiger Woods is in the house. 1 floor above us. A member in our group saw him getting off the elevator while she was getting on!!).
But I digress, everyone was so excited - for their families and for the other families! Traveling with a large group is amazing!!!! Such a gift to get to know these families and witness each of their first moments with their blessed new children. Miracles in the making.
Our large tour-type bus arrived, and I started to cry. This was really, really happening.
We loaded the bus and our guide, Yisha, began explaining what was about to happen, how the children may react, how we should care for them, etc. I couldn't concentrate. I was already in tears...on the verge of the ugly cry.
After 15 minutes we arrived at the large governmental Registration Office. As we were walking towards the office, Georgette (Warren's Mom), turned back to me and said, "Kim, they're here. I saw them get out of the van."
That's when I glanced up (very, very briefly) at the building and saw her standing there. And lost it. Completely. I couldn't walk. Another Mom (I have no idea who it was because I was already in "ugly cry" mode with my eyes shut!!) helped me walk to entrance. Greg was ahead of me and already inside.
It was chaos. People everywhere. Orphanage workers, families, children, Registration office officials. I walked inside the office and couldn't find her - or Greg - through the crowd and my tears and my shaking legs.
Finally, I saw her. My very first thoughts...
Wow, she's very, very tall, breathtakingly beautiful and utterly terrified.
She was dressed in the outfit we sent in her care package. It was size 18 months!!!....and intended to be a donation to the orphanage. She was dressed in 3 layers of clothing and wearing a diaper.
I bent down to her level. I was crying and it scared her. She started to cry. Her orphanage director stated (through our guide) that she is very scared of strangers. They knew this would be tough for her. They were very sweet and loving with her. We could tell she loved them too. :)
I offered her some treats, toys, a sucker.....she wanted none of it. Our guide began showing her the photo album we sent and pointing "Mama", "Baba". Still, not interested.
Finally, (after having been through a similar experience with Ben), I just picked her up.
I walked away from the orphanage staff (who she didn't see again) right over to visit Warren! :) She lit up!!!! What a blessing!! That's when the bonding started and the tears stopped.
I held her in the Registration Office for nearly an hour as the other families received their precious kiddos. We played ball, cars and ate lots of snacks. She even shared her snacks with me.
She was very fearful of Greg and the chaos in general. I think Greg's huge camera and constant photos freaked her out. Sadly, she would not go to him....or even let him touch her. We had to sit for a passport photo and she was terrified sitting next to him. :(
After her orphanage directors left (discreetly), Lucy Mei began pointing outside and crying. It was heartbreaking. But, I would distract her and it worked! She loved the red wall at one end of the office. She would point and in the sweetest voice seem to say, "Wow". She waves bye and even imitated me by saying, "bye bye". The girl is a genius! :)
She is also grieving. She is terrified. Her world has been turned upside down and she has no idea who we are or what is happening. She wants her "home", and I can't blame her. It's all she's ever known. But, all will be ok. She is our daughter and will learn to love and trust us, day by day. We definitely see glimmers of hope through the tears and fears.
For example, she would reach for my hand in the Registration Office when walking. :) She would look for me when she was playing with the other children. Another Mama offered her snack but she would only accept it from me! Seriously, how amazing is that?!
I noticed almost immediately that Lucy is not going to be a tantrum kiddo. PTL!!! She cries a sad kind of cry with big alligator tears. BUT, she's easily calmed and assured. Food, water, a toy....and she loves to play with other kiddos. And Warren, well, they are 2 peas in a pod!!! She lights up and becomes very animated when she sees him. Although, I will say, Georgette was holding Warren with his back facing us. I carried Lucy Mei over to see him....and she slapped him right on the back. Ha! These two are cracking me up!! They're like siblings!
We learned from the orphanage that Lucy Mei and Warren were roommates. :) 3 kiddos to a room. They were and will always be close. Georgette and I are committed to that!
The entire experience was surreal. Meeting our new daughter and witnessing 8 other families meeting their children. It was something so special. I will never, ever forget. I can't understand why everyone doesn't adopt?? Seriously, we all boarded the bus with our new little ones thinking, "Why are there orphans?". We can't personally adopt them all. But, wow. Unless you've been through it, you can't possibly imagine the feeling, the joy, the gift. Impossible to put into words.
The bus ride back to the hotel was precious. Lucy Mei stared out the window. In a daze. Yawning at times. Her eyes fixating on the world passing her by. She laid her head on my chest for the first time and waved at people in the cars. Deboarding the bus and entering the hotel was another trigger of stress. She started crying. It was someplace new. Very different than anything she's ever experienced. Greg walked through the huge revolving door....I thought better to carry her through the side door. It's the little things. Every single thing is new and scary for our precious girl.
We arrived back to the room - she walked a little while holding my hand - down the long hallway. She would stop at nearly every mirror. I don't believe she's ever seen herself. She was scared entering the room - I had to hold her. We started by playing a little and ordering room service.
Then, it was bath time (my absolute favorite! I've dreamt of this for months!). Textbook adoption will say, no bath. Wait 2-3 days. The kiddos have been through so much and it's traumatizing to remove the only thing familiar to them (their clothing).
Well, this Mama couldn't wait. Not for cleanliness reasons. She smelled wonderful and seemed very clean and well cared for when we met her. There's just something about a bath for me. :) A bonding moment. Also, for me, it's so important to see your child, the whole child - her precious little inny belly button, her Mongolian birth marks, any rashes or scratches or marks. Sorry folks, just gotta do it.
She was terrified as I began removing her clothes (shoes first, which is very traumatic) but quickly calmed down once in the bath. She enjoyed the toys once we started playing. It's obvious she's never sat in a tub of water. She was holding on to both sides and had difficulty keeping her balance when letting go. She loved the toys and we got our first real smiles. :) I washed her hair quickly and poured water on her head to rinse....not a tear!
It was nap time by then so I put her in pajamas and we cuddled in the chair to eat lunch. The food had arrived and she wanted no part of it. Congee and noodles. She adamantly shook her head and made a "seeeee" kind of sound. Cracks me up! We tried a bottle with formula and again, she wanted no part of it. She fell quickly asleep and slept in my arms for an hour. I then moved her to the bed so she (and I) could rest more comfortably. She laid on her back, thumb in her mouth, playing with her nose and staring quietly at the ceiling for an hour or so. She never fell back asleep.
By that time (3 p.m.), Greg needed to meet our guide, Yisha, to fill out adoption paperwork Lucy Mei and I decided to spread out the toys on the floor and play! It was sooooo fun. She's a hoot. She would point towards the door and say, "Baba, bye bye" and wave! She LOVES looking at the photo albums of our family....especially the kiddos. She's even trying to say their names! She did say Jack. :) I have learned, she loves balls, cars and balloons. Dolls, stuffed animals and stacking cups? Not so much.
She also loves to snack (cheerios, Gerber puffs, yogurt melts) and just like Ben, she ripped the top off the snack cup right away. Smart kids. Will need to find some duct tape today.
She also loves to snack (cheerios, Gerber puffs, yogurt melts) and just like Ben, she ripped the top off the snack cup right away. Smart kids. Will need to find some duct tape today.
The orphanage said she takes a bottle with formula every 5 hours. We went to Wal Mart on Sunday evening with our group and purchased the formula and an extra bottle along with some Goldfish and chocolate cookie snacks.
I tried a formula bottle again but she wanted no part of it. The orphanage also said she drinks warm water from a bottle. She loved that. So, we sat on the floor, playing.....each with our bottles - hers water and mine Coke Zero. :)
I started "cheers" with our bottles and we would each take a drink. Then I started making the "ahhhh" sound after each sip. And so did she! This girl is killing me!!! I also started feeding her Gerber Puffs with my lips. I would hold one between my lips and she would open her mouth wide and eat it. She loved that. So far, she seems to be a very good natured child....loves other children...and isn't going to take any smack. LOVE HER!
We tried playing dolls. I would hold the baby and say, "awww, Mama give the baby love." I offered her the baby, and she slapped it. Not a fan. So sad.
She also had her first (very messy) diaper. It has been a while since I've changed one of those. Wowza.
Greg finally returned (with a new pink umbrella stroller!) and then it was my turn to meet with the guide and sign the paperwork. I took Lucy Mei with me. We found Warren in the hall and she became very animated. Warren's sister was running around the group in circles and I heard my baby girl's first belly laugh! She's going to love the shenanigans awaiting her at home!!!
Greg ordered pizza and fried rice (takeout) for dinner. Guess which one Lucy Mei liked? Yep, pizza! She wanted nothing to do with the rice. Daddy fed her the pizza which was a great bonding moment. Greg has held her once, while I was in the restroom.....and she screamed. Poor thing. It will come with time and Greg is ok with it (I think)....but, I know it's hard.
I believe it's just her personality. She's going to bond with one parent initially - which the majority of newly adopted children do. Within a few days she will be daddy's little girl, no doubt!
Lucy fell asleep in my arms after eating....love. I held her until it was time to Skype with the kiddos and my parents at home. She was exhausted by then. I woke her up by brushing her teeth, giving her a Flintstones chewable (which she did not care for!) and changing her diaper.
We watched TV (Chinese cartoons) until the Skype call to keep her awake. She was in a zombie like state but loves TV. This may be helpful in the future, just sayin'. :)
Finally, at 6:35 a.m. in the US, we called the kids. They were so excited to meet their baby sister. She was very tired and eventually started to cry. Although the call was brief, they got to meet their baby sister. What a blessing. The kids looked great and so did my parents!!!! They are kickin' it! Beds made and kids ready for school by 6:35 a.m. Gramma is rockin' it!!!!
It was 7:35 p.m. here and her orphanage paperwork stated she goes to sleep at 8:30 p.m. and awakens at 6:00 a.m. She sleeps on her back in a crib. So, I tried it. I put her in the crib next to our bed....and she screamed in terror. She stood up and wanted no part of it. Motherly instinct kicked in and I thought - maybe a warm formula bottle???
Greg quickly made a bottle and she sucked it down! I laid her down in the crib and she whimpered a bit. I held her hand and rubbed her beautiful little head through the bars. She sucked her little thumb and slowly fell asleep. The thumb fell out. Arms above her head....lying on her back. A beautiful thing! She has been sleeping since 8:30 p.m. last night and not a cry!!!! It's 5:50 a.m. now!!!
Today will be a very, very busy day. We are meeting our guide and the other families at 9 a.m. to finalize the adoption!!!! We will arrive back to the hotel around noon. At 1 p.m., we will travel with Warren's family and our guide to Zhoukou City to apply for Lucy Mei and Warren's passports. It's a 2.5 hour trip each way. We may or may not have the opportunity to tour their orphanage. Knowing Lucy Mei's personality, I'm a little nervous about her returning to the orphanage. But, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to see her first "home".
Whew. What a crazy 24 hours it has been. I cannot believe our beautiful baby girl is asleep in her crib behind me. Never again without a family. Her sparky personality, playfulness and sweet demeanor will capture everyones' hearts. She certainly has won us over. She is as beautiful on the inside as she is the outside. What an amazing blessing. I'm still in shock. There are no words to describe the love and gratitude I have for this amazing child. She is - and always has been - a piece of me. My daughter. Our child. Forever.
For those wanting photos (HA!), Greg has loaded over 100 photos from yesterday on Lucy Mei's Shutterfly site. The link is at the top of this page. "Photos!". Then click on "Pictures & Video" on the Shutterfly site. Enjoy! Thank you all for following our journey. We love to read your comments. :)
Blessings,
I did the bath thing the first night, too!! It is the easiest way to calm Nathaniel down now!! Pizza!!! That was the boys first intro to an American meal (not snack!!). They loved it, too!!! Then in GZ they had french fries...they could have earned citizenship just from the amount of potatoes and ketchup they could put away!!! :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad she has her mama and baba!!!! So glad she is a Schultz!!! Can't wait to see pics of her with the others back home!!! Enjoy your bonding!!!!!
Thank you! It is amazing to read this and live vicariously through you! What a blessing!
ReplyDeletelove love love your story...Noah was so clean too, with three layers. they also said he had a bottle every five hours(he ended up having one in the am and one in pm) even with his cleft palate..he sure could eat. praying everything continues to go well..she is absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great Gotcha Day! I love all the detail you put into it, I know Lucy will love hearing the story in detail as well one day! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI've been waiting all day to see this post! Tell Greg to hang in there. Laynie wanted NOTHING to do with Tom for four days -- now I couldn't separate them if I tried!! Love all the memories you're bringing back for us! I just read your post out loud to Laynie and Tom -- we're all following your journey!! Glad things are going so well!! Hope today brings even more bonding for all!!
ReplyDeleteWow! I woke up thinking about you and thought about you all throughout the day. SO glad Lucy Mei is forever in your arms. Loved the way you described each moment with her, and the pictures were incredible. I am SO happy for all of you! I cannot wait for the day when we write our own Gotcha Day post. Can't wait to read about the next part of your journey!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful day for you all!! I felt like I was with you as I read your blog. Sure hope your day goes smoothly! Praying for you all in your journey!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Thanks for sharing your incredible story and journey to Lucy Mei! Looking forward to hearing more about how she grafts right into your family.
ReplyDeleteSo so glad to see this wonderful post Kim!! Sounds like Lucy Mei is doing well and so glad to hear you have been able to shower her with love.
ReplyDeleteJennifer
So happy to know she is adapting well. Sounds alot like our Mei Li - and she never looked back. :) I will be checking in daily - thank you for taking the time to blog!
ReplyDeleteLee Ann