Nov 8, 2012

us consulate appointment!! check!!!

We completed our US Consulate appointment this morning! Yay!

Lucy Mei has officially completed all of the necessary paperwork in China and will officially become a US citizen when we arrive in Chicago. We will receive her Visa tomorrow afternoon (fingers crossed!!!) before checking out of the hotel at 4 p.m. for our van to Hong Kong.

We will spend the night in Hong Kong and board an 11 a.m. for our 14 hr. flight to Chicago!!!

Whew....we can finally see the light!!!

It's 12:30 p.m. here. Lucy and Greg are napping.

Last night we ate with Warren's family in the hotel.....a high-end, huge buffet!!! Not Golden Corral type buffet....like, made to order filet's type buffet. I ate sushi and chips/hummus and apple crisp pie for dessert. Yummy! Lucy loved the chips and rice and Warren, of course.

Georgette wanted to take the kids swimming. It was late (well, like 8 p.m.) but she's teaching us to "live on the dangerous side" in her sweet Mississippi southern drawl....so, we went! I'm so glad we did. It was so fun!

Lucy Mei was bustin' out of her 2T swimsuit and tried to pull it down/up/over. Girlfriend is obviously not accustomed to showing any skin. She was fired up though! She, Warren and Jaden were running and screaming down the hallway. It's a wonder we don't get kicked outta here!

The weather was gorgeous outside and the pool area was beautiful. Greg (reluctantly) got in and I handed Lucy to him. I was shocked when she agreed! I snapped a few photos and then she was done. I was proud of her though!!! Big step for our girl! 

Lucy and I chilled on the lounger and watched Warren and Jaden play. I drank a TsingTao and enjoyed listening to American music piped from the hotel bar poolside. Another little guy from our group, Jett (20 months), and his 14 year old brother, Tanner, joined us. Jett is such a doll and actually fell asleep on Greg's lap. Greg wanted to take him home too. :) Just sayin'....

We didn't get to bed until 10 p.m.! Lucy slept great, as always, and woke up dry - again! We took her to the potty first thing, and she went immediately!! Next stop, bath. She definitely knows the routine. :)  

We met our group in the lobby at 7:55 a.m. for the Consulate appointment. All went fine. Very anti climatic, same as last trip.

We arrived back at the hotel in time for the breakfast buffet. Sam facetimed us at breakfast. LOVE IT!!!! Not the best connection, so he held up a sign that read, "I have a sore throat"......poor guy! He was really only interested in seeing Lucy though. They are sooooo funny and sweet together!!!! Sam makes faces at her and she imitates him!!! She can say his name too! They are going to be best buds!!!

Our guides had a "departing Guangzhou" meeting at 11:15 a.m. for 1 member from each family to attend. I just returned and we're officially all set to go! It was our last item on the itinerary. Our group informally decided to meet in the lobby tomorrow morning for one last hurrah - Subway lunch at the park.

Once Lucy and Warren awake from naps, we are planning to shop outside our hotel with Warren's family for a few souvenirs and spend the last of our RMB money.

Tonight is Papa John's  with Warren's family - maybe eating outside by the playground.  

Tomorrow's agenda is park in the a.m., napping, packing, Lucy's Visa arrives and FINALLY -- the van to Hong Kong!!!! (about a 3 hour drive).

What an exciting and life-changing 2 weeks. Every child deserves a family.

To witness the transformation of 10 little lives and families, in less than 2 weeks, has been beyond awe-inspiring. To watch children laughing and bonding with their new families, feeling secure and loved and happy. It's truly beyond words for me. I am forever changed.

My children, all of them, are forever changed. Ellie is already saving money for the child she will someday adopt from China. :) 

There is nothing more fulfilling or rewarding I could do in my life. Not because what it means to the child, but the joy and love and happiness this child brings to our lives and our family.

So, as our journey comes to a close.....(I cannot imagine staying another 7-8 days. Ben's trip was 22 days. No way, hosay!)........a few thoughts: 

We are very comfortable saying, Lucy Mei is ready for home, ready for her brothers and sister! We, without a doubt, are beyond ready!

Our sweet girl has surprised us in sooo many ways.

The utterly terrified, shaking and tearful little girl, always running towards the nearest exit, is no longer.

She's happy, silly and feisty. :)

She's now equally comfortable with Greg and I. Wowza!

She loves to give kisses, tickle us, give high-fives....all the "normal" things a 2 1/2 year old child enjoys.

She loves to be held....but, be warned, she's quite a load!

She's very active, very much a toddler...and sneaky! We turn our backs for a second, she's headed straight for Greg's laptop (knowing very well it's "off limits"). Ha! Love her!

She loves to "learn" English....although most of her words sound the same. She has the sweetest little voice. She points at almost everything and wants to know the English word....and attempts to repeat it.

She also "selectively" understands almost everything we say. :)

For those who may be meeting Lucy Mei in the coming weeks, days....

Unlike Ben, who literally strutted off the plane like he owned the place, Lucy Mei will need time before being held, and perhaps even touched.

She will likely be overwhelmed and frightened with the attention, or she may completely surprise us (the kiddos should help her immensely in the transition).

........a little side note, we are hoping she's terrified and/or allergic to Chezzy. So sad. Ha! Buh, bye!

I will try and blog a last post tomorrow. Thanks again for following along!!

Blessings,

Kim 

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful trip you have had! I bet it is utterly life changing to witness all of the families joined together through adoption--God's work!! I have loved following along Kim!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I just have to thank you for all you have written and documented during this trip. Of course, it will be a treasured memory for your family to look back on, but as someone who is about to walk this path that you are on now, it's been invaluable! We leave in 6 days to meet and bring home our little girl. We are with the same agency as you, so we'll experience some of the same sights and sounds.

    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching your daughter blossom through the series of pictures as well as your wonderful written words. How wonderful it will be to see her home and your family finally together!

    Blessings for safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've so enjoyed following along!! She is beautiful and perfect for your family! I hope to meet her sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't be more excited for you! Lucy has changed before our very eyes, adn I am so thankful that you invited us to join you on your journey to bring her home. Thank you for all of your stories and pictures! Her face is simply STUNNING in the picture where she has her bathing suit on in the hallway at the hotel...seriously STUNNING! What a beautiful little girl. So excited for you to be home with your family! Prayers for a safe trip. I hope our paths cross someday on a visit to Evansville!

    ReplyDelete